Monday, December 16, 2013

Best Chocolate Frosting Ever

Sprinkles Cupcakes Chocolate Frosting

10 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1 lb. butter
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream

Melt chocolate and cool. Beat butter until fluffy (I used 1/2 butter, 1/2 butter flavored Crisco this last time because I thought we might be outside and Crisco is more heat-resistant). Add powdered sugar slowly. Beat until fluffy. Add chocolate, salt, vanilla and sour cream. Beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes. Try not to over-beat or whip; the frosting is best dense rather than airy. Frost cupcakes! (Enough to frost 18-24 cupcakes or more depending on how much you use.) 

P.S. Since I'd made cheesecake cupcakes, I also added 4 oz. of cream cheese to this recipe, beating it with the butter. Yum!

On top of those cupcakes, I also swirled another frosting in as well. It's lighter:

Jell-o Mousse

1 4oz. pkg. chocolate instant pudding
1 cup cold milk
1 tub cool whip or 1 small whipping cream whipped up (with a pinch of powdered sugar and vanilla)

Beat milk into pudding mix until setting-up. Fold pudding mixture into whipped cream (or cool whip). Refrigerate a few hours (I like doing it overnight) and voila! Light frosting or delicious mousse (I use this for the filling of two-layer cakes a lot; you can use any type of pudding or Jell-o gelatin). 

So I swirled this with the chocolate butter cream. Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment